Whether you plan to build a website all by yourself or have a professional do it for you, in both cases – whether you like it or not – you’ll still have to go through some preliminary paces that no one else can do but the brand new owner of your unique and successful website, in other words – YOU!
When you’re building a house, you start with a house plan. When you’re building a website, you start with… a website plan! To be a success you need to know where your website starts and where it is going. So get a notepad, make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, sharpen those pencils and let’s get started! Try answering the following questions in writing to get a clearer picture of your idea:
- Who is your new site for? Are you making a site for tradesmen or teachers? Students or stay-at-home Mums? Maybe you’re targeting people who love fishing?.. Where do all those people live? Which continent? Country? Do they all speak good English? What do you expect them to do on-site? What services do you plan to provide? Do you plan to sell something: goods, services?
Work with your Idea. Try to describe in writing what you are trying to do. Try to be as specific as possible and get as much detail in your idea as you can. It might be a good idea to brainstorm it with a friend or two.
- Have you come up with a good business name already? What about the name for your website? You need to think of quite a few of them as the first one that comes to your mind will probably be already taken. Go for original rather than commonly used. It has to be both catchy and have a reference to what your business is about.
- What is your budget? This is a hard question. Especially when you are starting something new people don’t have an idea of how much it will cost and how much work they will need to put into the project. Let’s put it this way: most websites nowadays can be created by business owners themselves. Thank goodness the days when we needed to be able to program in HTML are long gone! And this is coming from a programmer! Now we have great platforms like WordPress that can guide you through the process, so don’t stress out, you can do it too!
- Do you have any unique good quality images to use on your web site? If you don’t, now is the time to start taking as many as you can. Get into a habit to take pictures as you go. After a while, you will have your own gallery of unique images to choose from for your website.
Try to avoid using generic images provided by Shutterstock Images and others, as they are not unique and will downgrade your site position with search engines. Although you may use any images you can find for ideas and then create your variation. Aim to make it better!!!
- Even if you are using a Web Studio or a freelancer to create a website for you, be prepared to put in some good hard work. You will need to provide a lot of information about your project in the first place, a description of all your services, products, write a blog. Good idea is to write all of the articles for your website yourself, as nobody knows it better than you. Again, aim to be original. Your point of view is important. Make this website your baby, alive with your energy. Good luck!